I decided to make some Hot Cross Buns - I think it was me that ended up hot and cross! As I find mixing and kneading quite painful these days, I decided to use the trusty breadmaker to make and rise the dough overnight. I didn't understand the instructions properly so totally failed to put the fruit and spice in at the beginning - as I read it you mixed it in before shaping the buns. However, we did have some buns and even though they were a bit lumpy bumpy looking they tasted fine. I also didn't want to make a small amount of pastry to make the crosses and I don't own a piping bag now - and can't make those paper things, so I just cut the tops to form the cross. Trev didn't complain, they were still better than the supermarket ones and there weren't any left!
The Easter Project was to build a 'tree' house for all of our little guys. In truth it wasn't ever going to be up a tree but attached to the end of the swing - but they don't care as long as it is off of the ground. Grandad and Dad soon set to with an assortment of pallets from which they fashioned a very substantial structure. My brief had been 'rustic' but I hadn't allowed for their interpretation! I think it is all ready now for Nanny to do a bit of a makeover to make it look less pallet-y but I don't think the boys mind at all. Let's hope that they have a nice fine Summer so that they can enjoy it with their cousins.
Let us hope it is fine tomorrow for the Easter Egg Hunt - Grandad will be sooooo disappointed if he doesn't find any!
Leave a Reply.