Ever since we had to let the Butler go at Jam Jar Towers I have had to clean my own silver. I didn't realise that life would be so tough. However, thinking back to the things my Granny taught me - who used to be in service in a Big House, I remembered her time saving tip. We have friends coming for dinner this evening so this was the ideal time to clean the silver and snap it for you to see how easy it is.
1. tarnished silver
2. two pieces tin foil
3. scrunch up loosely and put into a bucket/plastic bowl
4. add about 2 tablespoons salt
5. place silver on the foil touching the surface as much as possible
6. add boiling water - add another kettle- full to cover the silver
7. leave for 2-5 mins then lift our carefully with tongs
8. rinse and polish with a soft cloth
Et voila! No nasty chemical polishes on utensils intended to be in contact with food - no nasty blackened fingers or residual smell of polish.